Kurtis Jay Keefer
Commercial, Industrial & Retail Leasing
Complex Commercial Litigation
Condo & HOA
Construction Defect Litigation
Covenant & Rule Enforcement
Financial Advisor Liability
Landlord Tenant Litigation
Real Estate Law
Real Estate Litigation
“I chose law as my profession because it presents nearly endless opportunities for learning, which is consistent with my belief that education should be a lifelong pursuit. The rewarding aspect of this process and profession is not only acquiring knowledge but sharing it for the benefit of others.”
Mr. Keefer focuses his efforts on first party property insurance claims. He has handled scores of hurricane claims, including those from hurricanes Charley (2004), Frances (2004), Ivan (2004), Jeanne (2004), Dennis (2005), Katrina (2005), Wilma (2005), Matthew (2016), and Irma (2017). Additionally, Mr. Keefer has handled claims caused by a variety of other covered losses, including plumbing leaks, water leaks, fire, smoke, mold, vandalism, theft, collapse, and others, as well as claims involving forced-placed insurance. Those claims have ranged from small single-family residences to large condominium complexes as well as commercial claims for businesses.
Mr. Keefer is regularly called upon to evaluate and provide opinions on coverage issues and bad faith matters, and with regard to the legal authorities that govern property insurance claims, and the regulation of insurance adjusters, and insurers. Because Mr. Keefer found that the related legal authorities were not always logically categorized or ordered, and some were found beyond the Florida Insurance Code, he created a publication to help insurance adjusters and others. In doing so, Mr. Keefer re-categorized and reordered the legal authorities so that they are easier to research. The publication also includes a list of over one hundred important deadlines and timing issues and other resources. The publication can be downloaded from Apple iTunes or Google Play.
In addition to property insurance claims, Mr. Keefer has handled other legal matters including those associated with claims for personal injury, maritime and admiralty, bad faith insurance, insurance broker liability, administrative claims against insurance adjusters, collections, real estate disputes, director and officer liability, contract drafting, contract disputes, and entity formation.
- University of Miami School of Law, J.D, 2003, Magna Cum Laude
- University of Miami Business Law Review, Articles and Comments Editor
- Academic Honors: The Order of the Coif, Dean’s List, Dean’s Merit Scholarship, CALI Excellence for the Future Award
- West Virginia University, M.B.A., 2000
- University of South Florida, B.A. Psychology, 1995
- Member of N.C.A.A. Division I Soccer Team
- The Florida Bar, 2003
- The West Virginia Bar, 2004
- United States District Court for the Southern, Middle and Northern District of Florida
- United States District Court for the Southern and Northern District of West Virginia
- Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- Florida Supreme Court Certified Circuit Court Mediator
- Florida Public Adjuster’s Handbook of Statutes, Rules, and Other Legal Authorities, 2014
- Reclamos del Seguro de Propiedad, Los Abogados News, 2015
The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide, ask us to send you FREE written information about our qualifications and experience. This website is designed for general information only. The information presented should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of an attorney-client relationship.